Happy Happy Posts of Christmas Past…aka Monday haha!!! This post was not only one of my favorites from last year, but it was the one that was the most surprising in how much I loved it. I mention it below, but I just want to reiterate that peppermint and chocolate are not my go-to flavor combos, though I am probably in the minority in that group, hence the surprise in my love of these cupcakes. Anyways, just wanted to share this one again, because this frosting is to die for and the chocolate cupcakes are insanely moist and easy to make. Have a wonderful wonderful day and thank you so much for stopping by!!!
Happy Wednesday everybody!!! I am sooo excited to share today’s recipe with y’all! I received in the mail a box full of wonderful Brach’s treats.
Of course all of the Christmas candies looked amazing, but the one that jumped out at me to use first were the bags of the Brach’s crushed candy canes. Ideas were running rampant of what I wanted to make with them, but a frosting was the first on my list, and hello what better thing to put candy cane frosting with than chocolate?
I wanted to keep the frosting super light and fluffy with the subtle sweetness and crunch of the crushed candy cane, and y’all that is exactly how this frosting turned out, downright perfection.
Also, lets talk about the cupcakes, I doctored up a cake mix to make the cupcakes extra moist and fluffy (and not to mention easy) and these also turned out perfectly soft and chocolatey. I honestly think these would be perfect for any Christmas party (parties) you might need to bring a little something to because these are so festive and delicious. Also, if you’re a huge mocha peppermint fan, this is right up your alley, enjoy y’all!
Alrighty, cake mix into the bowl…
then the rest of your ingredients…
all mixed up….
into your cupcake tin…
now, for the frosting…milk and flour into your saucepan…
perfect, see how it’s the consistency of thin mashed potatoes?…
once the flour/milk mixture has cooled, place butter and sugar into your bowl…
whip, whip, whip the butter and sugar until light and fluffy…
now add your milk/flour mixture…
whip it like crazy until it’s super light and fluffy (should taste and look like whipped cream)…
Brach’s crushed candy canes…
into your bowl…
all mixed up and ready to be noshed…
- 1 Box of Devil's Food Cake Mix.
- 3 Eggs.
- 1/2 Cup of Vegetable Oil.
- 3/4 Cup of Buttermilk.
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream.
- 2 Cups of Milk.
- 10 Tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour.
- 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract.
- 4 Sticks (1 Lb) of Unsalted Butter, Softened.
- 2 Cups of Granulated White Sugar.
- 3/4 Cup of Candy Canes, Crushed.
- Red Sprinkles, For Garnish (Optional).
- Extra Crushed Candy Canes, For Garnish (Optional).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- With a handheld or stand mixer with paddle attachment place all ingredients for your cupcakes into your bowl and mix until well combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon fill your cupcakes 1/2 full and bake for 15-17 minutes or until they spring back to the touch, let cool completely.
- Place the milk and flour in a medium sized saucepan on medium heat.
- While stirring, heat the mixture until it becomes the consistency of thin mashed potatoes, remove from the heat, add the vanilla and stir in.
- Let the flour/milk mixture cool completely.
- Once the flour/milk mixture is room temperature, place the sugar and butter into your bowl and beat, beat, beat until light and fluffy--this takes at least 5 minutes.
- Now add the cooled flour/milk mixture into the sugar and butter mixture and beat, beat again until light and fluffy like whipped cream.
- Now add your crushed candy canes and mix until evenly mixed.
- Now pipe or spoon your frosting onto your cupcakes and enjoy!
- Because the pieces of the candy cane would potentially block a piping tip, I just placed the frosting into a plastic bag with the tip snipped.